Take it in turns to colour in a space in a race to get four in a row – it’s as simple as that! The playing board has been adapted to help you tell the other player in which space you’re making your move. If you don’t have coloured pencils or pens, you can alternatively draw symbols in the spaces (e.g. one player is diamonds and one players is stars) or patterns (e.g. stripes vs. circles).
Just print out a board, have a friend print out one for themselves or send them a copy, and get playing over the phone!
Tips for effective gameplay:
- Make sure both players are using the same coloured pencils (e.g. red and yellow) to avoid confusion
- If you don’t have coloured pencils and are going to be drawing symbols or patterns instead, it’s helpful if one player is a symbol and the other a pattern, as they’re visually distinct and will help you keep a better overview of the game!
- Have patience! When playing games over the phone, it’s inevitable that at some point, confusion can occur and people are no longer sure who’s coloured in which space. Taking the time to solve the problem will mean you will have more fun in the long run!
(can also be played in 2 small teams)
5 – 15min
1) 2 different coloured pens or pencils (if you don’t have coloured pencils, you can also draw symbols (e.g. diamonds) in the spaces instead)
2) A print out of the Connect Four board (download below)
Disclaimer: Keep in mind that phone calls cost money, so be sure to check your phone credit situation first. If you’re a kid, also make sure to check with your grown-ups before downloading anything or making any calls! 😊